Focusing on Beauty
My paintings start with a sense of fascination and inquiry- what is unique and beautiful about a scene or subject? My challenge is to capture and communicate that special beauty with paint.
Sometimes the idea for a painting spontaneously presents itself as in plein air painting. I am inspired by the quiet meandering of a river, the vastness of a desert gorge or the way afternoon sun highlights the curve of an arch or the angle of a roof top. Sometimes my paintings are inspired by many impressions and feelings of a place. These paintings are all about using technique to express relationships, to create a sense of distance, time and space.
I use a Painting in Layers method, developed by Artist, Barbara Marquardt, that combines the Renaissance artists’ concepts of Chiarscuro with color ideas from the Impressionist painters. I start with a small sketch, first in pencil and paper to work out the composition, the values and important relationships. Then I move to an acrylic sketch on canvas. I paint in layers: first two layers of underpainting in acrylic, using colors complementary to the final true colors and in the same values. This method creates a structural foundation for the final layer in oil. I continue to sketch and re-sketch using a sensitive line so that the image achieves an organic quality with the impression of movement and dimension. I also use an open stroke so that the complementary colors of the underpainting show through. Then I bring it all together by finding some edges and sharpening them while leaving others lost. I also push and pull my values to ensure atmospheric perspective and emphasize the focal point of the painting.
My latest work has been focused on landscapes – gardens, architecture and natural scenes. I have also completed several paintings in my new Voyeur Series which is a collection of informal figurative paintings. In addition, I continue to enjoy portrait and wildlife work. Inspirations include Monet, Renoir, Bonnard, Cezanne, Gaughan, Jackson Pollock and Wolf Kahn. I admire the ability of these artists to take a fresh look at the world both inside and outside themselves, see the beauty of it and express it. It is my aspiration to do the same.
Born and raised in the San Francisco Bay Area, award-winning artist, Marie Massey, has been drawing and painting since she could hold a pencil. Her earliest memories of painting date back to 4 years old in her Grandmother’s garden with some water colors, pencil and a rose as her subject. Since those early years, Marie has sought to express her deep appreciation for the beauty of nature, wildlife and humanity in her artwork. Marie’s work has evolved from highly detailed realism in water color to loose, impressionistic paintings in oil.
She credits this transition with the method of painting in layers which she learned from her mentor and teacher, Barbara Marquardt. “This method has helped me to unleash my creativity and allow the magic to happen on the canvas.” she says. Marie’s work is has been described as American Impressionism, distinguished by exciting use of brilliant color, unique composition, and elements of expressionism.
Marie studied art at the California College of Arts and Crafts, U.C. Santa Barbara and the Loveland Academy of Art as well as with many well-known contemporary artists. She teaches both plein air and studio workshops. In 2014 Marie was juried into the California Art League as an Exhibiting Member. Also in 2014, Marie founded the Central Coast Plein Air Painters. In 2013, Marie and fellow artist, Diane Edwards, founded Paint the Poudre Plein Air, a plein air painting competition and exhibition that benefits the preservation and conservation of the Cache La Poudre River in Colorado. Marie is also a member of the Carmel Art Association, The Central Coast Art Association, Estes Park Plein Air Painters, and the Artist Association of Northern Colorado.
Marie travels extensively and loves to plein aire paint in beautiful places around the world including the US, Europe, the Carribean, Central and South America. She also enjoys painting wildlife, portraiture, and still life.
Marie’s work is represented by Strouse & Strouse Gallery in Pacific Grove, Independence Gallery in Loveland, CO and Fast Frame Art Gallery in Fort Collins, CO. Marie has also shown at galleries in Carmel, Healdsburg,Taos, Sedona, and New York. Her artwork has been juried into many national and prestigious shows across the U.S. at which she has won numerous awards for her oil paintings including Best of Show, 2nd, 3rd and many Honorable Mentions. Marie has a long list of avid collectors and she has done many successful commissions for private and corporate clients.Her work has sold well and hangs in private collections throughout the country.
With a BA in Political Economy from UC Berkeley, and an MBA from Golden Gate University, before turning to painting full time, Marie founded Concept2Profit, a marketing and business development consultancy in the Silicon Valley. Marie enjoys using her business background in volunteer work to promote the arts and care for the environment and wildlife. Marie shares her time between her Dolphin Dunes Studio in La Selva Beach, CA and her Painted Meadows Studio in Bellvue, CO.
Painted Meadows Studio, 5951 Red Ridge Trail, Bellvue, CO 80512,
Dolphin Dunes Studio, 276 Lily Way, La Selva Beach, CA 95076
Focusing in Oil
Plein Aire Landscape . Wildlife . Still Life . Figure
- BEST OF SHOW, National Greeley Exhibition for “Renaissance”
- 2nd Place, She Loves Him
- 2nd Place,Reflections of Venice
- 3rd Place, Feathered Frolic
- 3rd Place, Wine and Roses
- Honorable Mention, Greens of Summer
- Honorable Mention, Blue Sky River
- Honorable Mention, Moon Over Venice
- Honorable Mention, Bear
The Independence Gallery, 440 Lincoln Ave. Loveland, CO 80537
NATIONAL and INTERNATIONAL SHOWS JURIED INTO
- Spring, Love, Pinot and Chocolate at the Just For You Gallery of Fine Art in Healdsburg, CA 2013
- National Northern Colorado Artist Association Show – 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007,
- National Greeley Art Association Show – 2003, 2004, 2005
- National Plano (Texas) Art Association Show – 2004
- Red River Valley (Texas) National Juried Art Exhibition – 2006
- Estes Park Plein Air National Juried Show – 2005, 2006,2007,2008
- Boulder Art Association National Juried Show – 2003
- Richard Schmidt Fine Art Auction – 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
ONE PERSON SHOWS
- From Paris to Loveland, captured moments by Marie Massey at AIMs Community College in Loveland, CO, July – Dec. 2011
- Walden Fine Art presents Enchanted Moments by Marie Massey, May and June 2011
- Walden Fine Art presents Visions in Paint by Marie Massey, May and June 2010
- Walden Fine Art presents Captured Moments by Marie Massey, May and June 2009
- Walden Fine Art presents Taos Gardens by Marie Massey, May and June 2008
- Walden Fine Art presents “Adobe Gardens by Marie Massey”, May and June 2007
- Walden Fine Art presents “from Taos to Tuscany, a celebration of Spring by Marie Massey”, 2006
- Imagemaker presents “Colorful Seductions by Marie Massey”, 2004
- Walden Fine Art presents “Springtime in Taos”, new works by Marie Massey, 2005
- Imagemaker presents “From Tuscany to Rome, a painted tour of Italy by Marie Massey”, 2005
- Gary Hixon Interior Designs presents the Oil Paintings of Marie Massey for the months of October and November, 2003
- Loveland Visitor Center presents the Oil Paintings of Local Artist, Marie Massey, 2003
- Monterey Bay Plein Air Painters (MBPAPA)
- Central Coast Art Association (CCAA)
- Plein Air Artists of Colorado (PAAC)
- Member of the American Impressionist Society
- Member of the Estes Park Plein Air Painters
- Artist Association of Northern Colorado
- Thompson Valley Art League
- Carmel Art Association
- Oil Painters of America
- The Stanford Group
- Loveland Academy of Art: Studies with Patti Andre, Jeanne MacKenzie, Joy Thomas & Cathy Goodale – 2000
- Plein Air Workshops with Jeanne MacKenzie and Cathy Goodale – 2000, 2001, 2002
- Studies with Barbara Marquardt – 2003 – 2008
- Studies with Lu Haskew – 2002, 2003
- Studies in studio art at UC Berkeley 1988-1991
- Studies in studio art and art history at UC Santa Barbara 1987
- Studies at the California College of Arts & Crafts 1981
POINTS OF INTEREST
- MBA, Golden Gate University, 2000
- BA in Political Economy, UC Berkeley, 1991
- Black Belt, Tae Kwon Do
- Marketing and Business Development Consultant
- Interests include my family, hiking, bird watching, running, tennis and reading